Roasted Herbed Chicken with Tomato Basil Sauce
Diabetic-friendly roasted herbed chicken with an Italian-style tomato sauce.
1 1/3 pound broiler-fryer chicken)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon onion salt
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup tomato juice
1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons Equal Spoonful
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Pull neck skin to back and twist wings tips under. Brush outside of chicken with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Combine Italian seasoning, parsley, and garlic and onion salts;sprinkle some seasoning mixture inside, and rub remainder onto outside of chicken. Tie legs together. Place chicken, breast side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan.
- Roast, uncovered in 375°F (190°C) oven for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Cover and let stand 15 minutes before carving.
- For Sauce: In skillet, heat remaining olive oil. Cook onion and garlic until onion is tender. Stir in cornstarch until blended.. Stir in tomato juice, tomato, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat; stir in Equal Spoonful.
- Serve sauce with chicken.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 228 cal, 35g protein, 8g fat, 1g carbohydrate.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of sauce recipe): 32 cal, 1g protein, 0g fat, 8g carbohydrate.
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.