Skillet Chicken Paella
Reduced calorie chicken paella.
1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch strips
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic garlic, minced
2 1/4 cups fat-free chicken broth
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground saffron or turmeric
1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
3/4 cup frozen peas
- In a 10-inch skillet heat oil over medium-high heat and cook chicken strips, in two batches, for 2 to 3 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove chicken from skillet. Set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet; cook until onion has softened but not browned.
- Add broth, uncooked rice, oregano, paprika, salt, pepper and saffron or turmeric. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes.
- Coarsely chop stewed tomatoes and add with their juice to the pan. Add sweet red pepper and frozen peas. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes more or until rice is tender.
- Stir in cooked chicken. Cook and stir about 1 minute more or until heated through.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories 297, fat 6 g, cholesterol 50 mg, Protein 24 g, carbohydrate 36 g, Fiber 2 g; sodium 642 mg.
Tip: To lower sodium content, use low-sodium chicken broth, no salt added tomatoes and lite-salt.
Recipe Source: Better Homes and Gardens Magazine September 1992 issue.