Sweet and Sour Meatballs 2
Beefy meatballs, carrot, onion and pineapple pieces simmered in a no-sugar added sweet and sour sauce.
1 pound ground beef
1 large egg
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons diced onion
1 pinch ground black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup pineapple juice
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
6 tablespoons water
1/2 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
4 slices fresh pineapple, cut into pieces
1 large green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1/4 carrot, thinly sliced
1/3 onion, cut into wedges and separated
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, egg, cornstarch, salt, diced onion and pepper. Form into 1 inch meatballs; about 20.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the meatballs; drain fat and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Pour in the pineapple juice and simmer for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the 3 tablespoons of cornstarch, soy sauce, vinegar and water. Stir until smooth and pour into the pineapple juice. Add the Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and simmer until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Place the meatballs, pineapple pieces, green pepper, carrot and onion into the sauce mixture. Heat thoroughly.
Makes 6 servings.
Note: Submitted by a home cook, this recipe has not been tested by the Splenda® Test Kitchens.
Nutritional Facts Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 280; Calories from Fat: 140; Total Fat: 15g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 80mg; Sodium: 600mg; Total Carbs: 21gv; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugars: 14g; Protein: 14g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.