Sylvia Wood's Sweet Potato Pound Cake
Great for dessert or toasted for a breakfast treat.
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3 cups sifted cake flour
2 cups Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup nonfat buttermilk
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Sprinkle walnuts in pan; set aside.
- Combine flour, Splenda® Granulated Sweetener, baking powder, salt, and soda in a large bowl; set aside.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer about 2 minutes or until creamy. Add sweet potatoes, buttermilk and extracts, beating until blended. Add flour mixture in thirds, beating until batter is smooth after each addition.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until yellow disappears. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in the center comes our clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan, and cool on a wire rack.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories 360 | Calories from Fat 200 | Fat 22g (sat 11g) | Cholesterol 150mg | Sodium 370mg | Carbohydrates 34g | Fiber 1g | Sugars 5g | Protein 8g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.