Layers of chocolate and coconut custard make up this variation of a traditional Puerto Rican dessert.
6 (14-ounce) cans lite coconut milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 cinnamon sticks, plus additional for garnish
1 1/2 cups cornstarch
1 cup water
4 ounces pre-melted unsweetened chocolate
1/3 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
2 ounces pre-melted unsweetened chocolate
3 ounces shredded toasted coconut
1 bunch fresh mint
1 pint raspberries
- Combine the coconut milk, salt, 1 1/2 cups of Splenda® Granulated Sweetener, vanilla, and cinnamon sticks in a 4 to 6 quart pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and 1 cup water in a small mixing bowl, stirring until dissolved.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the simmering coconut milk. Stir until well combined and a creamy consistency is reached. Divide the mixture into 2 bowls. Add 4 ounces of unsweetened chocolate and the remaining 1/3 cup Splenda® Granulated Sweetener to one half, mixing until well combined.
- Pour or spoon the two mixtures into dessert glasses, alternating white and chocolate layers. Cover with cellophane, refrigerate overnight.
- Toast 3 ounces of shredded coconut on a baking sheet in a 400°F (205°C) oven for 6 to 10 minutes until brown or in non-stick pan over medium heat until done.
Garnish with a dollop of chocolate. Add mint leaves, raspberries and cinnamon stick. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Makes 20 (1/2 cup) servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/20 of recipe; 1/2 cup): Calories 230 | Calories from Fat 150 | Fat 16g (sat 10g) | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 140mg | Carbohydrates 21g | Fiber 3g | Sugars 4g | Protein 3g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.