Tropical Fruit Conserve
Serve this colorful conserve with baked ham or roast pork loin. Serve at room temperature before serving for best flavor.
1 cup dry roasted macadamia nuts, chopped
2 medium mangoes, peeled, pitted, and finely chopped
1 medium papaya, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
1 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 (1.75 ounce) package low methoxyl pectin with calcium*
1 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1 tablespoon fresh grated orange peel
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the nuts in a baking pan; bake, stirring once, for 8 minutes or until lightly toasted. Set aside.
- Wash jars and lids in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Fill boiling-water canner half full with water; add jars and water to cover. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat and simmer. Place lids in water to cover in a small saucepan; bring water to a simmer. Simmer until ready to use. Remove and drain jars and lids, one at a time, as needed for filling.
- Combine mangoes, papaya, orange juice, lemon juice, cloves, and pectin in a large saucepan; stirring until pectin dissolves. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Bring fruit mixture to a full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) over medium-high heat. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; add Splenda® Granulated Sweetener, stirring until Splenda® Granulated Sweetener dissolves. Skim off any foam with metal spoon. Stir in nuts and orange zest.
- Pack hot conserve immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/4-inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with 2-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on rack in canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil.
- Process 10 minutes. Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing center of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.) Store in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year. Once opened, store refrigerated and use within 2 weeks.
Makes 32 (2 tablespoon) servings. Yield: 4 half-pint jars
*If using a pectin product with separate pectin and calcium packets, follow the package directions to mix calcium water. Use 2 teaspoons pectin powder and 4 teaspoons calcium water. Follow package directions for preparing recipe.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (2 tablespoons): Calories 50 | Calories from Fat 30 | Fat 3.0g (sat 0.5g) | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 5mg | Carbohydrates 6g | Fiber 1g | Sugars 4g | Protein 1g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.