This is a great way to sneak colorful vegetables into the whole family’s diet. Have the kids help prepare the batter and watch the muffins bake.
4 tablespoons light margarine
1/4 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose unbleached white flour
1/3 cup wheat germ
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup 1% fat milk
1/2 cup shredded zucchini
1/2 cup peeled and shredded carrot
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray mini muffin tin with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Cream margarine and Splenda® Sugar Blend together in a medium bowl using a hand mixer.
- Mix flours, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Add dry ingredients and stir until just blended.
- Add orange juice and milk. Mix until blended. Scrape sides of bowl. Add zucchini and carrots, mixing until just blended. Fill prepared muffin tins half full with batter.
- Bake 10 to 13 minutes. Remove muffins from pan. Cool on wire rack.
Makes 12 mini muffins.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (2 mini muffins): Calories 100 | Calories from Fat 25 | Fat 2.5g (sat 0.5g) | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 270mg | Carbohydrates 16g | Fiber 1g | Sugars 6g | Protein 3g.
Contest submission by: Kimberly H. from Kingwood, Texas.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.