Bison Thai Salad
This recipe for bison Thai salad brings together the flavors of the east with a healthy twist.
1/2 a head of cabbage
1/4 cup red cabbage, shredded
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 bison New York strip steaks
1 stalk lemongrass
1 serrano chili
1 bunch green onions, sliced
2 shallots, minced
1/4 cup of mint
1/4 cup cilantro
- First, shred the cabbage and combine with the shredded red cabbage to add some color.
- Now add 1 tablespoon of the fish sauce and juice from half of the lime.
- Toss to mix all the flavors and set aside to marinate.
- Next, season the strip steaks with pepper, garlic, and salt-make sure to get both sides.
- Place the steaks on a preheated grill and cook on each side for 3 minutes. When the steaks are done, let them rest for 8 to 10 minutes so that the juices redistribute.
- Now, cut off the stem and root end of the lemongrass, remove the tough outer leaf and mince. Add the serrano chili, the green onions, and the shallots.
- To the ingredients, add the other tablespoon of the fish sauce and the juice from one and a half limes.
- Continue chopping to mix all the flavors and then add the mint and cilantro and give it a rough chop.
- Add this marinade to a bowl.
- Thinly slice the bison steaks against the grain to make sure the meat stays moist and tender and add to the bowl. Toss to coat.
- To plate this exotic dish, add the marinating cabbage salad and top with the bison.
Makes 2 servings.
Recipe and video provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv. Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.