Apple-Cabbage Skillet Dinner
This hearty skillet meal offers the sweet and savory flavors of autumn with apples, cabbage and smoked sausage.
3 Jonagold or Golden Delicious apples
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
6 cups shredded green cabbage
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound fully cooked smoked sausage
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Prepared mustard for accompaniment (optional)
- Peel, core, and grate 2 apples.
- In large skillet over medium heat, melt butter over medium heat. Add grated apples, the cabbage, and onion; sauté 5 minutes.
- Stir water, vinegar, salt, and pepper into apple mixture.
- Pierce sausages with fork and place on top of mixture. Cook, covered, 10 minutes or until cabbage is just cooked and sausage are heated through.
- Core and quarter remaining apple; add to skillet mixture along with parsley. Cook, covered, 2 minutes.
- To serve, divide mixture among serving plates, placing one apple quarter on each plate. Serve with mustard.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington Apple Commission.