Baked Mostaccioli with Meat Sauce
Your family will enjoy this hearty and satisfying Italian-style ground beef, pasta and mozzarella cheese casserole.
8 ounces mostaccioli or cavatelli
1 (14.5-ounce) can whole Italian-style tomatoes
1/2 of a 6-ounce can tomato paste (1/3 cup)
1/4 cup dry red wine or water
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, preferably al dente (firm to the bite). Drain pasta; rinse with cold water and drain again.
- In a blender container of food processor bowl, combine undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, wine or water, sugar, basil, oregano, thyme and pepper. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large skillet cook ground beef, onion, and garlic until meat is brown. Drain fat. Stir in tomato mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in pasta and olives.
- Divide mixture among six (10-ounce) greased casseroles.
- Bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 15 minutes. Or, spoon into a 2-quart greased casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake about 5 minutes more or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Makes 6 servings.