Beef and Sausage Lasagna
This terrific recipe for Beef and Sausage Lasagna was submitted by Shelly Long from Indian Trail, North Carolina.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound lean ground beef
1 pound sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 cup chopped onion
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
1 (12-ounce) can tomato paste
1 cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
4 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons crushed dried oregano
1 teaspoon crushed dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1(16-ounce) package lasagna noodles
1 (16-ounce) container cottage cheese
1 (16-ounce) container ricotta cheese
2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or 4 1/2-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, sausage, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is browned and onion is translucent; drain. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, sugar, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare lasagna noodles according to package directions. Rinse with cold water and drain.
- Stir together cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and eggs in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- When sauce is ready, make three equal layers of lasagna noodles, cheese mixture then meat sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and browned. Top with mozzarella cheese and bake until cheese is melted, about 12 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Makes 12 servings.