Beef Fiesta Shells
This delicious Mexican-inspired stuffed pasta dish is ready to serve in about 30 minutes.
1 pound 95% lean ground beef
1 small white onion, chopped
1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies
1 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 (12-ounce) jar picante sauce (mild or medium)
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (3-ounce) can French fried onion rings - divided use
18 large pasta shells (large enough to stuff)
- Cook pasta shells according to directions.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a bowl, combine tomato sauce, picante sauce and one cup of water. Set aside.
- Brown meat with onions, salt and pepper. Add green chilies, 1/2-cup of cheese, half a can of onion rings and 1/2 cup of prepared sauce.
- Stuff shells with meat mixture. Pour remaining sauce over shells. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining onion rings and cheese over the top.
- Bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
Serves 6 (3 shell) servings.
Tip: This recipe can be converted to a casserole by omitting the large pasta shells and replacing with a 12-ounce bag of medium-small pasta shells. Instead of stuffing shells, mix meat mixture with cooked small shells. Follow the rest of the original recipe.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe using 95% lean ground beef): Calories 341, Total Fat 10.6g, Saturated Fat 5g, Cholesterol 64 mg, Protein 27g, Carbohydrate 34g, Iron 4mg, Zinc 4mg, Sodium 926mg, Potassium 417mg, Calcium 154mg, Vitamin C 54mg, Vitamin A 131RE, Vitamin B12 2ug.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Texas Beef Council and Beef It's Whats For Dinner.