Beefy Mexican Lasagna
This easy-to-assemble Mexican-inspired entrée has all the flavor of enchiladas, but eliminates the work of filling and rolling up the corn tortillas. Instead, the ingredients are layered like a lasagna.
1 1/2 pounds 95% lean ground beef
9 corn tortillas
2 (10-ounce) cans mild enchilada sauce
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups loose-pack, frozen corn
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
Crunchy Tortilla Strips (optional)
1/2 cup chopped tomato
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Brown ground beef in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is not pink, breaking up into crumbles. Pour off drippings. Stir in 1 can enchilada sauce, black beans, corn and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spray 11-3/4 x 7-1/2 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange 3 tortillas in dish, cutting 1 as needed to cover bottom. Spread 1/4 cup remaining enchilada sauce over tortillas; cover with 1/3 beef mixture, then 1/3 cheese. Repeat layers twice, omitting final cheese layer. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over top.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven 30 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with tortilla strips, if desired, tomato and cilantro.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 466 calories; 35 g protein; 46 g carbohydrate; 17 g fat; 837 mg sodium; 73 mg cholesterol; 102.5 mcg folic acid; 6 g fiber; 6.3 mg niacin; .4 mg vitamin B6; 1.7 mcg vitamin B12; 5.7 mg iron; 5.7 mg zinc.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 349 calories; 27 g protein; 34 g carbohydrate; 13 g fat; 628 mg sodium; 55 mg cholesterol; 76.9 mcg folic acid; 4 g fiber; 4.7 mg niacin; .3 mg vitamin B6; 1.3 mcg vitamin B12; 4.3 mg iron; 4.3 mg zinc.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the Beef Industry Council.