Beefy Now and Later Casserole
Make two casseroles, bake one for now and freeze the other for another day's meal. You'll be glad you did when all you have to do is thaw the second casserole in the refrigerator and bake it.
2 pounds zucchini, sliced (about 8 cups)
1 pound lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3 cups cooked rice
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 large eggs, beaten
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese - divided use
- Cook zucchini in small amount of salted water in large covered saucepan about 5 minutes. Drain thoroughly and set aside.
- Cook beef, onion, salt, pepper and garlic powder in large skillet until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender crisp. Pour off excess fat.
- Combine rice, green chiles and zucchini in large bowl. Add meat mixture.
- Blend eggs, cottage cheese and Parmesan cheese in small bowl; stir into meat mixture. Divide evenly into two greased shallow 2-quart baking dishes. Top each with 1 cup cheddar cheese.
- Bake one at 350°F (175°C) 30 minutes. Cover and freeze other one for later use. Thaw in refrigerator before baking.
Makes 6 servings per casserole.
Tip: Feeding a hungry bunch? Bake the whole recipe in a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
Recipe provided courtesy of USA Rice Federation.