Best Ever Meat Loaf
This terrific recipe for Best Ever Meat Loaf was submitted by Jeanette Bowers of Howe, Indiana.
3 pounds ground chuck
1 pound ground mild sausage
5 slices lean bacon
1 cup oatmeal or 1 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
1 large onion, diced
1 large green pepper, diced
1 large red pepper, diced
1 (10-ounce) can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
1 1/2 cups ketchup - divided use
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Lightly mix all the ingredients, except for 1/2 cup ketchup, in a large mixing bowl.
- Spread the 1/2 cup ketchup in the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Shape meat loaf and place in the prepared baking pan. Lay the bacon strips on top of the meat loaf.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Allow meat loaf to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 12 servings.