Farfalle with Italian Sausage and Peppers
This dish is quick, simple and delicious—delivering maximum flavor with a minimal amount of ingredients.
A Family-Favorites Recipe.
8 ounces farfalle pasta (bow tie pasta)
12 ounces bulk sweet or spicy Italian sausage (if using links, remove sausage from casings)
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded, membrane removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded, membrane removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup strong beef broth*
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley (Italian parsley)
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for accompaniment
- Cook pasta according to package directions, preferably al dente (firm to the bite). Drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook sausage over medium-high heat, breaking up into bite-sized chunks, until browned; drain fat.
- Add the bell pepper and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the beef broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper; stir in parsley and the cooked pasta and toss gently to combine.
- Serve immediately garnished with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Makes 4 servings.
*Combine 1/2 cup hot water with 1 teaspoon beef base or bouillon granules. I prefer and use Redi-Base soup bases available at www.redibase.com.
Tip: Add more color to this dish by using a combination of red, green, yellow and/or orange bell peppers.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 359.4 calories; 20% calories from fat; 8.4g total fat; 25.5mg cholesterol; 587.1mg sodium; 398.4mg potassium; 48.8g carbohydrates; 2.5g fiber; 2.6g sugar; 46.3g net carbs; 21.7g protein.