Buena Sera Fusilli Casserole
Recipe courtesy of the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission.
1/2 pound dry fusilli pasta
1 pound smoked turkey sausage links
2 medium North Carolina Sweet Potatoes, peeled and julienned
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) (175°C).
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook fusilli ; drain and set aside.
- Remove casings from sausage and brown meat in a large sauté pan until cooked thoroughly and crumbly.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, red pepper, green onions and garlic and continue to cook another 5 minutes until vegetables are just tender.
- Add canned tomatoes, heavy cream, salt and white pepper and bring to a boil to thicken cream.
- Combine with cooked pasta and spoon into a casserole.
- Bake 30 minutes until golden brown on top.
Makes 6 servings.
Note: If made ahead and refrigerated, let come to room temperature and bake an extra 10 minutes to brown.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 362; Total Fat: 22g; Saturated Fat: 11g; Total Carbs: 28g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 15g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission.