California Tamale Casserole
This hearty casserole offers the classic flavors of the Southwest.
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 cups milk
1 large egg, beaten
1 pound lean ground beef
1 (1.25-ounce) package chili-seasoning mix
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1 (16-ounce) can tomatoes
1 (17-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (7.5-ounce) can pitted black olives, drained
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
- Mix cornmeal, milk and egg in 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Brown ground beef in heavy skillet until beef is no longer pink. Break up with spoon while cooking to 1/2-inch crumbles.
- Add chili-seasoning mix, salt, tomatoes, corn and olives to ground beef. Mix well.
- Stir beef mixture into cornmeal mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350ºF (175ºC) for 1 1/4 hours. Sprinkle cheese over top and return to oven until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Texas Beef Council and Beef It's Whats For Dinner.