Campfire Meatballs 'n Spaghetti Sauce
Whether they're sitting around a campfire, or at a dinner table, kids will look forward to this surprise supper.
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1 large egg
1/4 cup water
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise in half, sliced crosswise 1/2-inch thick
2 cups prepared spaghetti sauce
Shredded mozzarella or grated Parmesan cheese
Prepared garlic bread or garlic bread sticks, warmed for accompaniment
- In medium bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, water, garlic salt and pepper, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 16 meatballs.
- Tear of four 18 x 12-inch long sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil. Place equal amounts of meatballs and zucchini in center of each; top each with 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce. Bring shorter edges of foil together over the center; fold down loosely to seal, allowing room for heat expansion and circulation. Fold in open ends to seal.
- Place packets on grid over medium ash-covered coals. Grill 20 to 25 minute or until meatball centers are no longer pink and zucchini is tender, turning packets once.
- To serve, carefully unfold ends and tops of packets; sprinkle cheese over meatballs. Serve with garlic bread.
Makes 4 servings.
- To prepare indoors, preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Place packets on baking sheet; bake 30 to 35 minutes.
- Instead of making the meatballs, you can substitute with 16 ounces frozen, fully cooked meatballs.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.