Cheddar Potato Meat Loaf
The gravy mix and dried onions impart a deep flavor without the need for further spices or salt—and the cheese-topped potato crust keeps the meat loaf moist. This is a family pleaser!
1 package dry brown gravy mix
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups cooked mashed potatoes
1 teaspoon chopped green onion
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine ground beef, gravy mix, onion flakes and pepper in a large bowl; mix well. Shape into a loaf about 2 inches high and place in shallow casserole or roasting pan .
- Combine mashed potatoes with green onions and spread over meat loaf mixture, covering it entirely.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until golden-brown in places.
- Top with cheddar cheese and bake for 5 more minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Tip: You may want to tip pan to drain fat from meat loaf halfway through cooking time.