Recipe courtesy of the National Pasta Association.
8 ounces medium or wide egg noodles, uncooked
1 pound extra lean ground beef
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt- divided use
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup non-fat sour cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and egg; mix well. Shape into approximately 36 (3/4-inch) meatballs.
- Heat oil in a large skillet coated with cooking spray.
- Add meatballs and cook until browned on all sides. Drain well.
- Combine chicken broth, water, ketchup and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; stir in noodles, making sure it is covered by the liquid. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until noodles are done.
- Stir in sour cream and cheese. Cook until thoroughly heated and mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. (Do not boil.)
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Pasta Association.