Cheesy Hashbrown Taco Dinner
If eating spinach is a struggle in your family, try this easy recipe they're sure to love. It combines hashbrown potatoes with ground beef, cheddar cheese and an array of colorful vegetables.
1 (4.2-ounce) carton Hungry Jack Cheesy Hashbrown Potatoes
1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning mix*
1 (16-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Tortilla chips or warmed tortillas for accompaniment (optional)
- Add hot water (minimum 120°F | 50°C) to level of fill line on hashbrowns carton. Close carton. Let stand 12 minutes.
- Brown ground beef or turkey and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain fat. Stir in seasoning mix.
- Add spinach and stir until thawed.
- Drain any excess liquid from hashbrowns carton. Stir hashbrowns, tomatoes, black beans, corn and spinach into beef. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over top; cover and cook on low heat until cheese is melted, 3to 5 minutes. Serve as is with tortilla chips or wrap in a tortilla.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
*Or substitute 4 teaspoons chili powder, 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Recipe and photograph provided by Hungry Jack Potatoes via Brandpoint Content; Copyright 1996-2014.