Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Meatloaf
Here's a tasty twist on an old favorite! And let's face it, nothing says comfort food more than a homemade meatloaf hot out of the oven—and this special meatloaf has presentation, as well!
1 1/2 pound lean ground beef
3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Italian seasoning (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
- For Meatloaf: In large bowl, combine meatloaf ingredients, mixing lightly, but thoroughly.
- For Filling: In medium bowl, combine filling ingredients; mix well. Set aside.
- Place beef mixture on waxed paper and pat into 14x10-inch rectangle. Spread filling over beef, leaving 3/4-inch border about edges. Starting at short end, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Press beef mixture over spinach filling at both ends to seal. Place seam side down on rack in open roasting pan. Bake in oven 1 hour.
- For Topping: Spread ketchup over loaf; return to oven and continue baking 15 minutes or until beef is no longer pink.
- Top loaf with mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with additional Italian seasoning, if desired.
- To serve, cut into 1-inch thick slices.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.