Choclo Beef and Chicken Pie
This traditional and tasty meat pie is popular in South America. Choclo means corn, and is frequently used in Latin cuisine. Raisins and olives add extra zest to this dish. Perfect for family meals or entertaining.
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil - divided use
1 pound ground beef
2 medium onions, chopped - divided use
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped ripe olives
4 MAGGI Beef Flavor Bouillon Cubes, crumbled
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves or thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
1 (16-ounce) package frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- For Seasoning Blend: Combine cumin, salt and pepper in small bowl.
- For Meat Pie: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and 1 cup onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is no longer pink. Drain. Stir in raisins, olives and bouillon; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until flavors are blended. Spoon into 2 1/2- or 3-quart casserole.
- Season chicken with 1/2 teaspoon seasoning blend. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet. Add chicken; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until no longer pink. Spoon over meat mixture.
- Place corn, milk and remaining seasoning blend in blender or food processor; cover. Blend until almost smooth. Heat remaining oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add corn mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 1 minute. Spoon over chicken mixture. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
- Serve over lettuce leaves and tomato slices, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.