Chow Mein Casserole
This funky version of chow mein is unlike any you'll find in a restaurant. Crunchy noodles combined with cream of chicken soup, soy sauce-infused beef and vegetables makes a hearty, Asian-inspired entrée.
1 pound lean ground beef
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped peeled onion
1/2 cup rice
1 1/4 cups boiling water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 (4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon butter or margarine
1 (4-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 (4-ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained
1 (12-ounce) package chow mein noodles
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease an 13x9x2-inch pan.
- In a skillet, brown ground beef, celery and onion. Drain.
- Place uncooked rice in prepared baking dish, pour boiling water on rice and stir in salt. Stir in ground beef mixture, cream of chicken soup, mushrooms, brown sugar, soy sauce, butter, water chestnuts and bamboo shoots.
- Cover, bake 30 minutes; stirring occasionally. Cook uncovered for 30 minutes longer.
- Just before serving, stir in chow mein noodles. Serve hot.
Makes 6 servings.