Hot out of the oven, this moist and flavorful meatloaf is what comfort food is all about. Makes a terrific sandwich the next day, too!
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce - divided use
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1 large egg
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Measure 1/4 cup tomato sauce; combine with topping ingredients. Set aside.
- Combine remaining tomato sauce with remaining meatloaf ingredients in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
Shape beef mixture into 8x4-inch loaf on rack in broiler pan. Spread topping over meatloaf.
- Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven 1 hour, until instant-read thermometer inserted into center registers 160°F (71.1°C).
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Cut into slices.
Makes 6 servings.
Four-Pepper Meatloaf: Prepare meatloaf as above, adding 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper and 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper to ground beef mixture.
Picadillo-Style Meatloaf: Prepare meatloaf as above, omitting thyme and adding 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper, 1/4 cup raisins, 1 teaspoon ground cumin and 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed, to ground beef mixture.
- Gentle handling when mixing the ground beef with the other ingredients will ensure a moist, tender meatloaf.
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 279 calories; 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 6 g monounsaturated fat); 112 mg cholesterol; 42 mg sodium; 11 g carbohydrate; 1.2 g fiber; 24 g protein; 4.7 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.2 mcg vitamin B12; 3.6 mg iron; 21.4 mcg selenium; 5.6 mg zinc.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.