Coney Island Taters
This tasty barbecue-flavored take on chili and fries is a quick and easy, kid-pleasing dish the whole family will enjoy. Recipe includes two variations.
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup prepared barbecue sauce
2 large all-purpose potatoes, washed well and dried
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup sliced green onions (optional)
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef and onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings. Stir barbecue sauce into beef; cover and simmer over medium-low heat 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile pierce potatoes in several places with fork. Place on paper towel in microwave oven. Microwave on HIGH 10 to 11 minutes or until tender, rearranging potatoes halfway.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise into quarters. Cut each quarter crosswise in half. Arrange 4 pieces potato on each serving plate; top with beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese; top with green onions, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Coney Island Pizza: Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Prepare beef mixture as directed above; spread evenly over one 12-inch thin-crust Italian bread shell or prepared pizza crust. Top with 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese and, if desired, green onions. Bake for 8 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into 8 wedges.
Coney Island Burgers: Prepare beef mixture as directed above; spoon evenly into four split, toasted hamburger buns. Top with cheese and, if desired, green onions.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (71.1°C).
- Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe for Coney Island Taters): 386 calories; 30 g protein; 34 g carbohydrate; 15 g fat; 4.2 mg iron; 672 mg sodium; 85 mg cholesterol.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe for Coney Island Burgers): 402 calories; 30 g protein; 32 g carbohydrate; 17 g fat; 4.0 mg iron; 866 mg sodium; 87 mg cholesterol.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe for Coney Island Pizza; 2 wedges): 538 calories; 39 g protein; 42 g carbohydrate; 23 g fat; 4.9 mg iron; 1,128 mg sodium; 105 mg cholesterol.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.