Confetti Beef and Spinach Pie
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 pound ground beef
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, drained well
4 ounces herb-flavored feta cheese, crumbled
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, crushed
1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
4 to 8 sheets frozen phyllo dough, defrosted, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick strips (4 cup)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Squeeze spinach to remove any excess moisture. Combine spinach, cheese, eggs and oregano in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Heat large oven-proof nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef and onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Add beef mixture to spinach mixture; mix well.
- Wipe out skillet.
- Combine phyllo strips and oil in medium bowl; toss to coat well. Spray same skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place 1/2 of phyllo strips in bottom of skillet; top with beef mixture, pressing with back of spoon or spatula to flatten. Top with remaining phyllo strips.
- Bake in 400°F (205°C) oven 15 to 18 minutes or until beef is heated through and topping is golden brown.
- Let stand 5 minutes Cut into 4 wedges to serve.
Makes 4 servings.
- The pie may also be baked in a 2-quart or 8x8-inch glass baking dish instead of the skillet. Spray baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and assemble as directed in step 7.
- Frozen phyllo dough is sold in a variety of 16-ounces packages. For package with the dimensions of about 14x18-inch use 4 sheets of the dough; for packages with dimensions of 9x14-inch use 8 sheets of the dough to equal 4 cup dough strips.
Note: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (71.1°C). Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 542; Total Fat: 31g; Saturated Fat: 11g; Cholesterol: 197mg; Total Carbs: 28g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 37g; Sodium: 578mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.