Cottage Cheese Lasagna
Creamier cottage cheese takes the place of ricotta cheese, traditionally used in lasagna, with delicious results.
1 (16-ounce) whole tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound ground beef
8 ounces lasagna noodles
12 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup cottage cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a saucepan over medium heat simmer whole tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, bay leaf, fennel, and basil.
- In a skillet sauté chopped onion and crushed garlic cloves in oil until golden. Add ground beef and cook until browned; drain. Add the tomato sauce mixture and simmer for 1 hour.
- Prepare lasagna noodles according to the package directions.
- In an 8-inch square dish start with a thin layer of sauce, then a layer of noodles, then cottage cheese. Divide sliced mozzarella cheese among the layers. Repeat the layers ending with the sauce. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until lightly browned and bubbly.
Makes 8 servings.
Photograph submitted to CooksRecipes.com compliments of Josh. (Thank you Josh!)