Cottage Meat Loaf
Meat loaf hot out of the oven can be as comforting as a cozy cottage.
3/4 cup tomato ketchup - divided use
3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
2 large eggs
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup tomato juice
2 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard - divided use
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
2 teaspoons firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried oregano leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Line a loaf pan with aluminum foil; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine 1/2 cup of the ketchup, bread crumbs, eggs, onion, tomato juice, 2 teaspoons of the mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Mix until thoroughly blended.
- Add ground beef; mix well. Press into the loaf pan.
- In a separate bowl combine remaining 1/4 cup ketchup, remaining 1/2 teaspoon mustard, brown sugar and oregano. Spread over meat loaf.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until cooked through; drain before slicing.
Makes 8 servings.