Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff
Common pantry staples and ground beef come together to perform a fast act in your skillet. A great choice for a busy weeknight supper, add a simple side of roasted asparagus or steamed green beans to complete the meal.
1 pound lean ground beef
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons beef base or granulated bouillon
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat leaf parsley or 1 teaspoon dried
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 (4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 cup sour cream
1 (12-ounce) package egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
- In large skillet, brown the ground beef in small chunk-like pieces (don't crumble it too much), season to taste with salt and pepper; drain off any excess grease.
- Add onions and garlic to ground beef mixture and cook just until onion has softened.
- Add the butter and melt; stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly stir in water.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the sour cream. Bring sauce to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on low until sauce thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream and heat through, but do not boil.
- Serve over hot, cooked noodles.
Makes 6 servings.
Tip: 1 1/2 cups canned, ready-to-use beef broth can be used in place of the 1 1/2 cups water and 1 1/2 teaspoons beef base or granulated bouillon.
Variation: Serve this simple sauce over cooked rice, spaetzle or potatoes instead of noodles.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe including the noodles): 419.5 calories; 61% calories from fat; 28.4g total fat; 102.5mg cholesterol; 474.4mg sodium; 327.4mg potassium; 22.1g carbohydrates; 1.2g fiber; 1.8g sugar; 20.9g net carbs; 18.1g protein.