Easy Meatballs (Albondigas) in Spicy Tomato Sauce
Smoky chipotle peppers in adobo sauce add the spicy to this easy meatball dish. Serve over hot cooked rice for a delicious entrée, or serve meatballs as a party appetizer.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup saltine cracker crumbs
1 large egg, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce - divided use
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
Hot cooked rice for accompaniment (optional)
Fresh chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Combine ground beef, cracker crumbs, egg, water and 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Divide beef mixture into 12 equal portions; shape into meatballs. Set aside.
- Combine tomato sauce and remaining 1 tablespoon pepper in stockpot; bring to a boil. Add meatballs. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 14 to 16 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking time to cover meatballs with sauce and ensure even cooking.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle with cilantro, if desired.
Makes 4 main dish servings.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (71.1°C).
- Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 279 calories; 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 7 g monounsaturated fat); 26 mg cholesterol; 756 mg sodium; 10 g carbohydrate; 2.2 g fiber; 24 g protein; 6.0 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg vitamin B12; 3.8 mg iron; 21.6 mcg selenium; 5.6 mg zinc.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.