Easy Meatballs, Vegetables & Pasta
A quick and easy twist to liven up a traditional standby—and sneak a few veggies into your family's diet.
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
1 large egg, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
3 cups (12 ounces) frozen Italian vegetable mixture
1 (26-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
2 tablespoons freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In large bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, onion, salt and pepper; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- In 8-inch square baking dish, press beef mixture into 1/2-inch thickness. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 160°F (70°C). Carefully pour off drippings. Cut beef mixture into 16 squares.
- Meanwhile cook pasta according to package directions. Approximately 6 minute before pasta is done, stir in vegetables. Drain; keep warm.
- In large saucepan, combine "meatballs" (squares) and spaghetti sauce. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat 6 to 8 minutes or until heated through; stir occasionally. Serve over pasta and vegetables. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: Instead of making the meat squares, you can substitute with 1 pound frozen, fully cooked meatballs. Or, crumble and cook 1 pound of lean ground beef.
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.