Eggplant, Tomato and Macaroni Casserole
An Italian-style eggplant casserole with two types of cheese, ground beef and macaroni in tomato sauce.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large egg
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 ounces elbow macaroni
1 cup (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pierce eggplant with a fork and bake at 400°F (205°C) until soft, about 30 minutes. Cool, peel, and mash. Stir in olive oil and egg.
- In a skillet, brown ground beef; drain. Stir in chopped onion and crushed garlic clove and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions; drain.
- Combine the eggplant, the ground beef, and the cooked pasta. Stir in tomato sauce and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Spoon into a greased baking dish, top with thinly sliced tomatoes, and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 25 minutes, or until brown and bubbly.
Makes 6 servings.