German-Style Bratwurst and Sauerkraut
With flavors and aromas perfect for a crisp autumn evening or a cold winter's supper, this complete skillet supper satisfies. Serve with a rustic bread.
1 pound bratwurst (5 links)
6 slices bacon
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (32-ounce) can sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 cup water
1/2 cup dry white wine or apple juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
1 teaspoon caraway seed
1 bay leaf
1 large apple, cored and sliced
- In a large skillet cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Bacon can be drained and set aside for another use. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- Cook onion and garlic in skillet over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sauerkraut, potatoes, water, wine, brown sugar, bouillon, caraway and bay leaf. Add up to 1/2 cup more water, if necessary, to cover potatoes. Bring to boiling.
- Score bratwurst; add to sauerkraut mixture and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are just tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sliced apple; cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more or until apples are just tender. Remove bay leaf and serve.
Makes 5 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/5 of recipe): Calories 290 calories Protein 12 grams Fat 16 grams Sodium 1570 milligrams Cholesterol 35 milligrams Saturated Fat 6 grams Carbohydrates 24 grams Fiber 7 grams.
Recipe provided courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.