"This recipe was on a can of Hunts brand tomato sauce in the late 60's. I have made it many times over the years and have given the recipe to a lot of people who really love it." Recipe submitted by Jeanette Bowers of Howe, Indiana.
2 pounds ground chuck, cooked and drained
2 pounds potatoes (about 4 large), cooked, drained and mashed with 1/4 cup margarine or butter
2 (15-ounce) cans or 1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce - divided use
1 (15-ounce) can green beans, drained
1 (15-ounce) can wax beans, drained
1 (15-ounce) can carrots, drained
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large casserole dish, place the cooked and drained ground beef in the bottom of dish. Add 1/3 of the tomato sauce and mix well.
- Place all 3 cans of drained vegetables on top of the meat mixture. Pour 1/3 of the tomato sauce on top of the vegetables. Salt and pepper to taste.
- With a large spoon, place the mashed potatoes all around the top of the vegetables, leaving the center open. Pour the remaining 1/3 of tomato sauce on top of the mashed potatoes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 45 minutes or until the center is bubbly.
Makes 6 servings.