Homemade Italian Sausage
This homemade Italian sausage recipe calls for casings, if preferred you can simply use the sausage in bulk form.
2 1/2 pounds lean ground pork butt or leaner cuts if desired
3 large cloves garlic, crushed
1/8 teaspoon dry basil
1/8 teaspoon dry oregano
1/8 teaspoon cracked rosemary
1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (or to taste)
1 1/4 teaspoons fennel seed (up to 1 tablespoon if you like dominant fennel flavor)
1/4 cup beef or chicken broth or dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Italian (flat leaf) parsley, chopped, (stems removed)
Casings (water packed)*
- Hand-trim all visible fat from the outside of pork, then cube the meat, removing interior fat as you find it.
- Coarsely grind the pork and glean then ground meat, picking out gristle, cartilage and veins of fat. Grind one more time.
- After second grinding, place meat in a large bowl, add dry seasonings and blend by hand to mix thoroughly to ensure it is spread throughout the meat.
- Add broth or wine and mix again by hand.
- Stuff by hand or use sausage stuffing attachment on electric meat-grinder (do not use blade in meat-grinder when stuffing).
Makes 2 1/2 pounds sausage.
*Casings should not be packed in salt. Get fresh casings from the butcher.