Italian Sausage with Pasta and Herbs
An easy pasta meal for the busy weeknight time crunch. Use different dried herbs to suit your family's tastes. Serve with a green salad and fresh fruit.
1 pound Italian dinner sausage links
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups zucchini, cubed
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
8 ounces rotini pasta
1 cup ricotta cheese, part skim
2 tablespoons dried herbs, (basil, oregano, sage, parsley)
Parmesan cheese, freshly grated for sprinkling
- Cut sausage diagonally into 1-inch pieces and cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, turning to cook and brown evenly, about 10 to 15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160°F (70°C). Set aside. Cool slightly and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add zucchini and red pepper. Cook over medium heat until tender but still crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Cook the rotini according to the directions on the package. Drain and reserve 1 cup cooking water.
- Add pasta to skillet and stir in ricotta. Add 1/2 cup pasta water and stir until creamy. Stir in sausage. Add more water if mixture is too dry.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs and Parmesan cheese before serving.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 510 calories; Protein: 34 grams; Fat: 19 grams; Sodium: 730 milligrams; Cholesterol: 55 milligrams; Saturated Fat: 7 grams; Carbohydrates: 51 grams; Fiber: 3 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.