Lasagna with Ground Beef
An Italian classic, this cheesy layered pasta and meat sauce casserole is made with ground beef.
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 cup diced celery
1 small green bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crumbled
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crumbled
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
10 ounces lasagna noodles (9 noodles)
2 large eggs
1 (24-ounce) carton cottage cheese
1 (15-ounce) carton ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons dried parsley
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1/2 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In large skillet, brown ground beef over medium-high heat; drain. Add celery, green pepper, and onions; cook until vegetables are tender. Add basil, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, cottage and ricotta cheeses, and parsley; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread layer of 3 noodles in prepared baking pan. Spread with half of cottage cheese mixture, then with a layer of 1/2 the mozzarella slices, then 1/3 layer of meat sauce. Repeat with second layer. Third layer ending with remaining meat sauce only. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 45 minutes; let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): 484.9 calories; 45% calories from fat; 24.1g total fat; 117.4mg cholesterol; 1053.3mg sodium; 761.5mg potassium; 31.6g carbohydrates; 2.9g fiber; 6.3g sugar; 28.8g net carbs; 35.1g protein.