Save yourself some work by using uncooked lasagna noodles in this make-ahead dish. It really works, and your family and friends won't be able to tell the difference.
1 pound lean ground beef
1 (26-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
1 cup water
1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
1 large egg
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
8 ounces lasagna noodles
4 cups (16 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet brown ground beef and drain; add spaghetti sauce and water. Mix and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Combine ricotta cheese, egg, green onions and oregano in a separate bowl; mix well. Remove 1 cup of meat sauce and set aside for topping.
- In a 13x9x2-inch pan, spread half of remaining meat sauce; add half of uncooked lasagna noodles, half the ricotta mixture and half the mozzarella cheese. Repeat, making sure to save some of meat sauce for the top, then sprinkle Parmesan cheese over all. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Can also be frozen.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bake uncovered for 50 to 60 minutes, until cheese is melted and lasagna is thoroughly heated. If frozen make sure to completely thaw before baking.
Makes 6 servings.