Lemony Beef and Barley with Sugar Snap Peas
A delicious and satisfying skillet meal featuring ground beef, barley, sliced mushrooms, carrots, onion, sugar snap peas, fresh parsley and lemon peel.
1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 (14 to 14.5-ounce) can beef broth
1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (8-ounce) package frozen sugar snap peas, thawed
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon peel
Lemon wedges for squeezing (optional)
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef, mushrooms, onion, carrot and garlic; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings.
- Stir in broth, barley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover tightly and simmer 10 minutes.
Add peas; continue cooking 2 to 5 minutes or until barley is tender. Stir in parsley and lemon peel. Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing atop individual portions, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (71.1°C).
- Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 259 calories; 27 protein; 17 g carbohydrate; 10 g fat; 4.9 mg iron; 665 mg sodium; 70 mg cholesterol.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.