Meatball Veggie Kabobs
Turn moist and flavorful meatballs and chunks of colorful vegetables into a fun grilled meal on a stick with this easy recipe.
1 green bell pepper, stems and seeds removed, cut into 1 1/4-inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, stems and seeds removed, cut into 1 1/4-inch pieces
1 yellow squash, cut lengthwise in half and then into 1 1/4-inch pieces
1/4 cup reduced-fat vinaigrette-style Caesar salad dressing - divided use
1 pound 90% lean ground beef
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup Quaker® oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1/4 cup fat-free milk
3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- If using bamboo skewers, soak skewers in water.
- In medium bowl, toss vegetable pieces with 2 tablespoons dressing; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, oats, milk, onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Shape mixture into 20 meatballs, about 1 1/2-inches in diameter.
- Alternately thread meatballs and vegetables onto eight 12-inch bamboo or metal skewers.
- Arrange kabobs on broiler pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Drizzle with any dressing remaining in medium bowl. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat, until meatballs are cooked through, 160°F (71.1°C), and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes, turning once and brushing with remaining 2 tablespoons dressing.
- Serve kabobs sprinkled with cheese, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Quaker Oats Company.