Meatloaf Ring with Peanuts
Recipe courtesy of National Peanut Board.
1/2 cups chopped dry roasted unsalted peanuts- divided use
1 1/2 pounds ground beef (90% lean)
2 large egg whites
1/3 cup non-fat milk
2 slices wheat bread, crumbled in electric blender (for 1 cup)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons dried leaf thyme
1 teaspoon coarse ground garlic salt with parsley
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 teaspoons peanut oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Mix 1/4 cup chopped peanuts with beef and all other ingredients except peanut oil, blending thoroughly.
- Coat bottom of a 13x9x2-inch or shallow baking pan with the oil. Turn meat mixture into pan and shape into ring, about 7-inches in diameter.
- Bake uncovered on center rack of oven for 30 minutes or until thermometer registers 155°F (65.5°C). If you don't have a thermometer, make a tiny slit with point of knife into meatloaf, and it should be only slightly pink but still nice and juicy.
- To Serve: Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup chopped peanuts over meatloaf. If you like, surround with steamed green beans and halved cherry tomatoes and serve with mashed potatoes.
Makes 6 servings.
To Microwave: Use micro-safe dish; microwave for 20 minutes or until done.) Using 2 long spatulas, carefully transfer meatloaf ring to serving plate.
Meatball Variation: Shape meatloaf mixture into 18 meatballs. Bake in shallow baking pan at 400°F (205°C) for 16 to 18 minutes or until no longer pink in center. Serve on hot pasta with spaghetti sauce.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 319; Total Fat: 19g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 70mg; Total Carbs: 9g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 28g; Sodium: 398mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of National Peanut Board.