Meatloaves with Mushroom Sauce
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
2 pounds ground lean beef
8 ounces (about 3 cups) fresh white mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1 (1.4-ounce) package dry vegetable soup mix
1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons butter
8 ounces (about 3 cups) fresh white mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 (14-ounce) can beef broth
- For Meatloaves: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). In a large bowl, combine beef, mushrooms, vegetable soup mix, bread crumbs, milk and egg until well combined.
- Form into two loaves, 7x5-inches each. Place loaves in a shallow baking pan with rack. Bake for 45 minutes.
- For Mushroom Sauce: In a small bowl, combine milk and cornstarch; set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir over moderate heat until mushrooms and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in beef broth and 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil.
- Stir cornstarch mixture into mushroom mixture in skillet. Cook over high heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Mushroom Council.