Finely crushed tortilla chips take the place of bread crumbs in this tasty Southwestern-seasoned meatloaf with a cheddar cheese center.
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup finely diced green bell pepper
1 cup finely diced onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 pounds lean ground beef or meatloaf mix (veal, beef and pork)
1 cup picante sauce or salsa - divided use
1/2 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
1 large egg
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups shredded Wisconsin Cheddar cheese - divided use.
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large bowl; cool 5 minutes.
- Add meat, 3/4 cups of the picante sauce, tortilla chips, egg, cumin and salt to bowl with vegetables. Mix well.
- Press half of mixture into a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Make a shallow well down center of meat. Press 1 1/2 cups of the cheese in the well; top with remaining meat mixture, pressing into a compact loaf. (Loaf pan will be full.)
- Brush remaining 1/4 cup picante sauce over top of loaf.
- Bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until internal temperature of meat reaches 160°F (70°C). Pour off and discard pan drippings.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese and, if desired, cilantro over loaf; let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.