This terrific recipe for Momma's Meatloaf was submitted by Suzanne Rossi of Castro Valley, California.
1 1/2 cups crushed saltine crackers
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
1 1/2 cups milk
2 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed dried sage
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place crushed crackers in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté onion until soft. Remove from heat and transfer to bowl with crackers. Add beef, milk, beaten eggs, salt, sage and pepper. Mix with hands until thoroughly combined.
- Place meat mixture in a desired baking dish and bake for about 1 hour, or until done.
- Great with mashed potatoes and vegetables. Also good in sandwiches.
Makes 6 servings.