Mushroom Meatloaf with Pepper-Thyme Gravy
A great variation on a classic 'comfort food'. Go all out and complete the meal with fluffy mashed potatoes and sautéed vegetables. And don't forget the Classic Rice Pudding for dessert! Mom would be proud!
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
2 teaspoons butter
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon butter
1/2 cup diced red, yellow or green bell pepper
1 (12-ounce) jar beef gravy
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). In large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons butter over medium heat until hot. Add onion. Cook and stir 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook and stir 6 to 8 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, salt, 3/4 teaspoon thyme, pepper and mushroom mixture; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- On rack in broiler pan, shape beef mixture into 8 x 4-inch loaf.
- Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven approximately 1 1/4 hours to medium doneness (160°F | 70°C).
- Meanwhile prepare gravy. In medium saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon butter over medium heat until hot. Add bell pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add gravy and thyme; heat through.
- Carve meatloaf into slices. Serve with gravy.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.