Norwegian Meatballs - Kjottkaker
Traditional Norwegian meatballs, flavored with a hint of nutmeg and allspice, are baked in a buttery beef-flavored sauce and served over noodles.
4 slices white bread
3/4 cup hot skim milk
1 pound extra-lean ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons beef bouillon base
2 1/2 cups boiling water
Hot cooked noodles or rice for accompaniment
- In a large bowl, soak bread in hot milk until absorbed. Add all remaining meatball ingredients; mix well. Shape into 1-inch balls.
- Brown meatballs in a large nonstick skillet; add a little oil if necessary to keep from sticking. Drain; place meatballs in large casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- To make gravy, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in flour. Mix bouillon into boiling water; add to flour mixture. Cook and stir until thickened. Pour over meatballs.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Serve over hot cooked noodles or rice.
Makes 6 servings