One Pot Lasagna Pasta
All the ingredients for this family-pleasing dish, including the pasta, cook in one pot! Recipe includes cooking directions for oven method or skillet-stovetop method. Developed by Oh Sweet Basil and The Beef Checkoff.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of choline.
1 pound ground beef (93% lean or leaner)
1 medium zucchini, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 (24 to 26-ounce) jar garden-style pasta sauce
2 cups water
6 ounces uncooked mini bow tie (farfalle) pasta (about 2 1/8 cups)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2/3 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
1 cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
Thinly sliced or chopped fresh basil for garnish
- Oven Method: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Heat oven-proof 5 to 6-quart Dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef and zucchini; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef into small crumbles and stirring occasionally.
- Stir in pasta sauce, water and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in pasta. Spoon heaping teaspoons ricotta cheese over top of sauce. Slightly swirl ricotta into sauce, not mixing in completely.
- Cover and bake in 375°F (190°C) oven 10 minutes. Uncover. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 7 to 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil before serving.
- Skillet-Stovetop Method: Prepare recipe as directed for Oven Method in step 2 using 12-inch nonstick skillet and adding uncooked pasta with pasta sauce, water and pepper as in step 3. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and cook on stovetop 8 to 11 minutes (13 to 15 minutes for regular bow tie pasta) or until pasta is tender, stirring once.
- Remove from heat. Swirl ricotta into sauce as directed in step 3. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover and let stand 5 minutes or until mozzarella cheese is melted. Sprinkle with basil before serving.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (71.1°C).
- Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
- Meatballs can also be served as an appetizer.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 558 calories; 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 111 mg cholesterol; 1219 mg sodium; 57 g carbohydrate; 6.0 g fiber; 47 g protein; 8.6 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg vitamin B12; 6.2 mg iron; 18.1 mcg selenium; 6.6 mg zinc; 83.1 mg choline.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 372 calories; 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 74 mg cholesterol; 813 mg sodium; 38 g carbohydrate; 4.0 g fiber; 32 g protein; 5.7 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg vitamin B12; 4.2 mg iron; 12.1 mcg selenium; 4.4 mg zinc; 55.4 mg choline.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.