This savory pie features a Parmesan pasta crust layered with an Italian meat sauce with bell pepper and mushrooms, and topped with mozzarella cheese.
5 ounces dry corkscrew macaroni
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
8 ounces ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 (14.5-ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
1 cup green and/or yellow bell pepper, cut into 2-inch strips
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
1 (4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, preferably al dente (firm to the bite). Drain; rinse with cold water and drain again.
- For pasta crust, in a large mixing bowl combine egg, milk and Parmesan cheese. Stir in pasta. Spread pasta mixture evenly onto a greased 12-inch pizza pan. Bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook ground beef, onion and garlic until meat is brown. Drain fat. Add undrained tomatoes (breaking up large pieces of tomato), pepper strips and Italian seasoning to meat mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until pepper strips are crisp-tender and most of the liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally. Stir in mushrooms and crushed red pepper.
- Spoon meat mixture over pasta crust. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes more or until heat through and cheese is melted.
- To serve, cut into wedges.
Makes 6 servings